About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
A day in the life
As an Engineering Associate at Swift, you will be a core member of the R&D team developing more efficient and reliable solar cells at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, Colorado. Working at an early-stage startup, you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the company’s technical development and internal operations.
In a typical day, you will run a variety of thin-film deposition processes, develop microscale printing processes for electronics, and characterize samples to carry out experiments jointly designed by you and Swift’s R&D scientists. You will make and test perovskite devices in collaboration with NREL staff scientists and technicians, and you may develop new protocols for characterizing and improving solar cell performance, stability, and yield. Taking organized notes and communicating your work effectively is a key part of the job. You will present your results regularly to the Swift team and may travel periodically to our main lab in CA to learn techniques, help set up processes, and train team members.
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture and technical direction. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help hire, mentor, and set an example for new team members. You will find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities, and we encourage you to take full advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have completed a master’s or PhD in materials science, electrical engineering, applied physics, or a related field OR have at least 2 years of equivalent experience
- Are highly organized and meticulous in your work
- Like to solve a problem and optimize the solution thoroughly before moving on to the next one
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Work effectively both in small teams and on your own
- Can write and speak English effectively
A very strong candidate can teach or quickly learn…
- How to use inkjet printing and related techniques to fabricate and characterize electronic devices
- How to develop and optimize new thin-film coating and deposition processes
- How to make high-efficiency solar cells
- How to work safely and effectively in a wet lab, laser/optics lab, and/or semiconductor R&D environment
- How to manage and analyze data using Python, R, Igor, Origin, JMP, or other software
- How to troubleshoot and fix equipment related problems
- How to use hand/power tools, 3D printers, and other prototyping tools
- How to use a multimeter, oscilloscope, and other electronic test equipment
- How to give technical presentations to a wide range of audiences
- Why solving climate change is an urgent and critical challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: January 2021
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: Golden, CO (National Renewable Energy Laboratory)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses, as long as you share your new insights with the team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!