About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we are making better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level. We are committed to doing our best to ensure that every member of the team has a job that they love and an environment that supports them.
A day in the life
As Chief of Staff (CoS) at Swift, you will be a core member of the executive group supporting the entire company. Your main goals will be to make the CEO as effective as possible and to proactively build relationships with customers, partners, and investors.
You’ll work closely with the CEO and help out with business development (identifying potential partners, understanding customer needs, doing market research), hiring (drafting job descriptions, screening candidates, coordinating offers and onboarding), financials (budgeting, financial modeling, tax and regulatory filings, purchasing, AP/AR), and fundraising (doing background research, preparing investor decks and updates).
You’ll help shape Swift’s future by serving as a sounding board on many strategic questions, and by bringing in a new perspective and analytical “horsepower” on business challenges. To be effective in this role, you will need to understand the business deeply, learn fast, and give and receive feedback effectively.
Working at an early-stage startup, you will have the opportunity to get involved in nearly all aspects of the company’s operations. This work includes developing systems and streamlining processes, and will definitely involve coordinating people and communicating with empathy. You’ll be expected to take responsibility for many operational tasks across all functional areas (e.g., people ops, finance, BD, investor relations, policy, legal), likely including the following:
- Build external relationships: Identify and reach out to potential customers and partners, Help build R&D and commercial partnerships, Develop relationships and communicate regularly with industry thought leaders and media outlets
- Manage grants: Coordinate proposal drafting, Prepare and manage grant budgets, Help prepare financial and technical update reports
- General administration: Help with office management, Implement company policies, Organize team meetings and events, Help prepare meeting agendas and pre-reads
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help hire, mentor, and set an example for new team members. You will find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities, and we encourage you to take full advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have an exceptional aptitude for and interest in building strong relationships
- Have a deep understanding of business strategy
- Have extensive operating experience in a venture-backed startup, management consulting, and/or previous CoS roles (ideally in deep tech/hardware/manufacturing)
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Work effectively both in small teams and independently
- Write clearly and don’t shy away from difficult conversations
- Value kindness, empathy, and trust highly in all relationships
A very strong candidate can teach or quickly learn…
- Effective customer discovery and development skills
- How to build partnerships and negotiate commercial agreements
- How to communicate effectively and tactfully with different audiences
- How to make effective slide decks and presentations
- How to manage complex projects effectively
- How to write an effective grant proposal and manage government contracts
- How to promote a positive and supportive team culture
- Why solving climate change is an urgent and critical challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: June–August 2021
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses—we know that a stronger you makes us a stronger team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at email@example.com with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!