About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar power. With our core technologies from leading groups that have pioneered perovskite solar cell research and a team of enthusiastic and friendly people, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level. We are committed to doing our best to ensure that every member of the team has a job that they love and an environment that supports them.
A day in the life
As a Data Engineer at Swift, you will be a core member of the Data Systems team, building and maintaining our data infrastructure. You’ll have the freedom to manage the future direction and architecture of our data systems, which are a crucial element of our R&D success. You’ll also help keep Swift’s computer systems running smoothly and improve software-related workflows and processes. Working at an early-stage startup, you will have the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the company’s technical development and internal operations.
In a typical day, you will develop and test front-end code to improve the user interface of our data management system, which interacts with our Python Django-based backend. You’ll also develop Python pipelines that automatically parse equipment parameters and characterization data and write them to a database. Organizing your code and documenting functionality rigorously is a key part of the job, as is managing time well to maintain the data infrastructure most efficiently. You will likely initiate and manage various software projects, including building additional data infrastructure and using data science and machine learning methods to analyze solar R&D data.
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture and technical direction. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help hire, mentor, and set an example for new team members. You’ll find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities at Swift, and we encourage you to take full advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have an undergraduate degree in CS or EE or a related field, or proof of proficiency by contributions to open-source projects or other portfolio projects
- Have experience in full-stack development with relational databases
- Are organized and reliable in your work
- Take initiative to tackle problems and make processes more efficient
- Work effectively and efficiently both in small teams and on your own
- Can write and speak English effectively
A very strong candidate can teach or quickly learn…
- How to use a Linux terminal
- How to set up and maintain a simple AWS (or similar cloud) server infrastructure, including managed database servers, load balancers, web servers, and file storage
- How to secure a web server infrastructure via VPN, SSL, and basic firewalls
- How to implement front-end UIs (via HTML/CSS/JS) that interact with a REST API
- How to implement a back-end web-server with python Django or Flask
- How to organize a codebase on GitHub or GitLab
- How to design a data model and implement it into a SQL database
- How to debug python code written by scientists with numpy and pandas 😉
- How to deploy code in a production environment using Docker
- How to effectively analyze and plot data and present experimental results
- Why solving climate change is an urgent and critical challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: May 2021 – July 2021
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: San Carlos, CA (remote work possible several days per week)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and inexpensive to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses, as long as you share your new insights with the team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!