About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
A day in the life
As an Equipment Maintenance Engineer at Swift, you will be a core member of the Engineering team, helping to develop, install, and maintain solar cell R&D and manufacturing equipment. Working at an early-stage startup, you will have the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the company’s technical development and internal operations.
You will be involved in or leading projects with the following goals:
- Procure, design, build, and set up R&D and pilot manufacturing equipment
- Install, troubleshoot, and maintain PVD and CVD equipment
- Modify and improve various solar R&D and manufacturing tools, including PVD equipment, material handling systems (e.g., conveyors, robots), laser processing tools, and testing systems
- Maintain facility equipment such as compressors, gloveboxes, and chilled water systems
- Develop and optimize manufacturing processes for perovskite solar products
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture and technical direction. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help hire, mentor, and set an example for new team members. You will find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities, and we encourage you to take full advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have ≥5 years of deep hands-on experience building and maintaining thin-film deposition equipment (including PVD/CVD) in an R&D or manufacturing environment
- Have broad industrial maintenance experience encompassing electrical, mechanical, vacuum, and gas delivery systems
- Have deep knowledge of mechanical, vacuum, electrical/controls, and measurement systems typical of a thin-film production environment (e.g., semiconductor process fab, glass coating, thin-film solar, magnetic media)
- Have previously worked with industrial controls systems (Siemens, Beckhoff, Rockwell)
- Have at least a basic understanding of vacuum science and technology
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Work effectively both in small teams and independently
- Are highly organized and meticulous in your work and documentation
- Can write and speak English effectively
A very strong candidate can teach or quickly learn…
- How to troubleshoot vacuum systems (e.g., helium leak check, residual gas analysis)
- How to work with mechanical, turbo, diffusion, and cryo vacuum pumps and systems
- How to assemble and maintain vacuum equipment
- How to troubleshoot, wire, and lay out low-voltage (24 and 48 VDC) electrical controls and high-voltage electrical power distribution (208V or 480V 3ph,N,G)
- How to build and operate motion systems, including motors and position sensors
- How to work with industrial control systems such as Beckhoff, Siemens, Rockwell (Allen-Bradley), or Mitsubishi
- How to use hand/power tools, 3D printers, and other prototyping tools
- How to use a multimeter, oscilloscope, and other electronic test equipment
- Why solving climate change is an urgent and critical challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: February – April 2021
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses, as long as you share your new insights with the team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at email@example.com with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!