About the company
Our mission is to create a world where all energy is clean energy, and our approach is simple: Build a better solar panel.
Solar is the most equitable and abundant energy source on Earth and one of our most important tools for fighting climate change. But today’s solar technology is approaching its fundamental limits. At Swift Solar, we are building a new PV technology to break through traditional efficiency limits while using lower-cost materials and faster manufacturing methods. If we’re successful, Swift will ultimately provide the most affordable source of zero-carbon electricity in the world.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup backed by committed investors. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in helping us improve lives and fight climate change. We are committed to doing our best to ensure that every team member has a job that they love and an environment that supports them.
A day in the life
As Head of Business Development at Swift, you will be a key executive team member and individual contributor helping shape all aspects of our go-to-market strategy and leading us in developing key customer and partner relationships. Your main goals will be to (1) help Swift achieve product-market fit in initial high-value markets and (2) lay a strong foundation for business development, sales, product marketing, and related functions.
More specifically, you will likely work toward some of the following objectives, which we will define with your input:
- Set up a process to vet and follow up with inbound leads
- Interview N potential customers in high-value verticals
- Establish a paid sample program and line up N new customers ready to receive samples
- Identify N key OEMs/integrators to partner with and establish deep relationships (e.g., JDAs, commercialization agreements, repeat high-level contacts) with a subset
- Map out the competitive landscape and customer ecosystem for initial markets
- Rigorously estimate short- and long-term market sizes and climate impacts
- Get N testimonials from happy customers and partners
- Assess distribution and pricing models for initial markets
You will work closely with the CEO on many aspects of business development and fundraising. You’ll help shape Swift’s future by bringing your expertise, new perspectives, and analytical capabilities to business challenges. To be most effective, you’ll need to learn fast, understand our technology, give and receive feedback effectively, and proactively build relationships with colleagues, customers, partners, and investors. You can magnify your impact by helping to educate team members in strategy fundamentals and developing their business skills/intuition.
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help hire, mentor, and set an example for new team members. You will find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities (e.g., by helping out with product design and prototyping, coding, policy work, and more), and we encourage you to take advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have an exceptional aptitude for and interest in building strong relationships
- Love talking to customers about what they want and need
- Know the ins and outs of building partnerships and negotiating commercial agreements
- Have a deep understanding of business strategy and tactics
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Work effectively both in small teams and independently
- Write clearly and don’t shy away from difficult conversations
- Value kindness, empathy, and trust highly in all relationships
A very strong candidate may be able to teach…
- What it takes to successfully commercialize a new deep tech/materials/hardware product
- How to work with international companies, partners, and customers
- How to interact effectively with high-level executives in all kinds of companies
- How to fundraise effectively from angels, VCs, and family offices
- How to make polished slide decks and presentations
- How to write a strong grant proposal and manage government contracts
- Why solving climate change is an urgent and critical challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: July–September 2021
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses—we know that a stronger you makes us a stronger team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!