About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
A day in the life
As a Mechanical Design Engineer at Swift, you will help us develop, build, and maintain the equipment to create the next generation of solar products. You will work in a fast-paced environment as a core member of the engineering team, and be responsible for the design of mechanical parts and assemblies required for R&D and production equipment. You will be continuously challenged to take new ideas, develop them in SolidWorks, and refine the design with FEM simulation tools. Together with R&D and process engineering specialists, you will be developing key intellectual property that supports Swift’s success.
On a typical day, you might work on a new deposition system assembly, designing specific parts according to specifications you’ve defined previously with one of our process engineers. To reduce lead time and cost, you might send dimensioned drawings with specified tolerances to various machine shops for quotes. You might also attend a meeting with the R&D team to debug the root cause of a process problem.
As an early hire, you’ll help craft Swift’s culture. In this role you’ll be interacting with every part of the company, which will naturally lead to many opportunities to grow your own skills and responsibilities. We encourage you to take full advantage of these opportunities.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have extensive experience on complex mechanical designs and assemblies in SolidWorks, including dimensioning and management of the part manufacturing process (with external machine shops and other partners)
- Have a desire and aptitude toward mechanical assembly
- Have structural FEM simulation experience with SolidWorks
- Can do routine mechanical engineering calculations for torque, fluid flow, thermal expansion, and stress
- Are familiar with common vacuum equipment components (flange standards, valves, etc.)
- Have experience with high-temperature ceramic, carbon, and metal alloy part design
- Are deeply motivated to make an impact on climate change
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Consider yourself to be kind, conscientious, empathetic, caring, and tactful
- Love feedback and make a conscious effort to be growth-minded and coachable
- Are organized and keep good documentation
A strong candidate might bring one or more of the following…
- Thermal and CFD simulation experience in COMSOL, Ansys Fluent, SolidWorks, or similar multiphysics simulations software
- Basic knowledge of product design
- Familiarity with low-voltage control systems (24 and 48 VDC) and/or high voltage equipment systems (208 VAC, 480 VAC)
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: February – April 2022
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses—we know that a stronger you makes us a stronger team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at email@example.com with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!