About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
A day in the life
As Product Engineer at Swift, you’ll play a key role in designing and prototyping new products based on our perovskite tandem solar cell technology. You’ll work with our Business Development team and other product engineers to identify product requirements and then help translate these to new cell and module designs with custom form factors. You’ll be hands-on in the lab, prototyping cell types and encapsulation methodologies. You will also be performing a variety of reliability tests for different applications.
On a typical day, you might work with our Engineering team to install new lamination tools, brainstorm the ideal module layout for a new product application, and meet with the cell R&D team to develop a new cell design. You might plot and analyze data from yesterday’s experiment, for which you made and characterized the cells with help from our technicians. You may also troubleshoot or maintain some equipment for which you are responsible.
As an early hire, you’ll help craft Swift’s culture. In this role you’ll be interacting with many parts of the company, which will naturally lead to many opportunities to grow your own skills and responsibilities. We encourage you to take full advantage of these opportunities.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have a degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, materials science, chemistry, physics, electrical/mechanical/chemical engineering, or a related field
- Have hands-on experience with experimental research or design projects
- Love hands-on lab work
- Have a strong growth mindset
- Are motivated to make an impact on climate change
A strong candidate might bring one or more of the following…
- Experience with product development and/or component integration for consumer electronics
- Experience with laser scribing for PV or OLED applications
- Experience with solar cell performance and reliability testing
- Experience with basic circuit design and modeling
- Experience with fabrication of flexible electronics (e.g., thin-film PV, OLEDs, TFTs, displays)
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, equity, and benefits
- Ideal start date: April – July 2022
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses—we know that a stronger you makes us a stronger team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!