About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
A day in the life
As a PV R&D Technician at Swift, you will be a core member of the R&D team, helping to make more efficient and reliable solar cells, developing manufacturing equipment, and keeping the lab running smoothly. Working at an early-stage startup, you will have the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the company’s technical development and internal operations.
In a typical day, you will run thin-film deposition and characterization systems to carry out experiments designed by Swift’s R&D scientists with your input. Taking organized notes and communicating your work effectively is a key part of the job. You will also be involved in building, setting up, and maintaining the lab equipment and facilities.
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture and technical direction. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help hire, mentor, and set an example for new team members. You will find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities, and we encourage you to take full advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have 2+ years of experience working in a semiconductor or similar R&D environment OR have completed an associate or bachelor’s degree in materials science, physics, chemistry, mechanical/electrical/chemical engineering, or a related field
- Are highly organized and meticulous in your work
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Work effectively both in small teams and on your own
- Can write and speak English effectively
A very strong candidate can teach or quickly learn…
- How to make high-efficiency solar cells
- How to develop and optimize new thin-film deposition processes
- How to work safely and effectively in a wet lab or semiconductor R&D environment
- How to manage and analyze data using Python, R, Igor, Origin, JMP, or other software
- How to set up and maintain vacuum systems and gloveboxes
- How to troubleshoot and fix equipment related problems
- How to design, build, or maintain characterization and test set-ups for solar cells
- Coding to control hardware systems in Python, LabVIEW, or another language
- How to use hand/power tools, 3D printers, and other prototyping tools
- How to use a multimeter, oscilloscope, and other electronic test equipment
- Statistical process control for manufacturing
- How to give technical presentations to a wide range of audiences
- Why solving climate change is an urgent and critical challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: January 2020 – March 2020
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses, as long as you share your new insights with the team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!