About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
A day in the life
As a PVD Process Engineer at Swift, you will leverage your technical expertise on thin-film deposition to lead the process development on our in-line PVD systems. You will own the full process development sequence from R&D all the way through pilot production. You will define unit film specifications and establish characterization methods for control of those properties. Working closely with the maintenance team, you will keep the equipment running productively. You will also work and communicate closely with other team members to support the rapid development of our solar products.
On a typical day, you might analyze the data of a previous experimental run and draw conclusions on how to proceed with the next iteration. You may write a well structured, new experimental plan and coordinate with the technician(s) who will carry it out by preparing samples and operating deposition and characterization equipment. By keeping a close eye on process parameters and feedback from real time characterization methods, you might make adjustments to the plan. As the experiment progresses, you may meet with other process engineers and managers to share project updates and lay out next steps.
As an early hire, you’ll help craft Swift’s culture. In this role you’ll be interacting with every part of the company, which will naturally lead to many opportunities to grow your own skills and responsibilities. We encourage you to take full advantage of these opportunities.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Bring hands on experience with linear in-line TCO sputter deposition processes (>=3 years relevant work experience)
- Have a fundamental understanding of sputter deposition and specialized film characterization for barrier layers
- Are cognizant of sputtering damage mechanisms
- Understand the impact of key variables on film optical and electronic properties
- Have expert knowledge of DC, RF, Pulsed DC and Bi-polar DC sputtering
- Have developed reactive sputtering processes for insulating materials
- Understand the sputtering mechanisms that control film morphology and stress state
- Understand design of experiments and have experience with data analysis in JMP
- Have managed a small team
- Are motivated to make an impact on climate change
- Are conscientious, growth-minded, and coachable
A strong candidate might bring one or more of the following…
- Experience with linear PVD systems for production processes
- Experience on atomic layer deposition for metal oxide films
- Experience with developing and managing pilot or production PVD equipment procurement including specification generation and acceptance testing documentation (SAT and FAT)
- Experience with inline characterization and/or process feedback control
- Experience operating and maintaining vacuum deposition systems
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, equity, and benefits
- Ideal start date: January – April 2023
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs for you and your family.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses, as long as you share your new insights with the team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!