About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
A day in the life
As an R&D Scientist at Swift, you will be a key member of the R&D team, developing efficient and stable perovskite tandem solar cells. You will lead our efforts to develop the next generation of solar cell technology by fabricating and optimizing devices to achieve targets for power conversion efficiency, long-term stability, and scalability. You will work closely with the other members of the R&D team to fabricate these devices.
You will likely work towards some of the following tasks and objectives, which we will define with your input:
- Run and coordinate perovskite depositions to conduct specific experiments aimed at characterizing and understanding perovskite deposition processes.
- Compile and analyze existing perovskite deposition data that we have accumulated to identify specific factors that are important to characterize further.
- Identify root causes of variability in perovskite deposition processes and work with process owners to develop ways to ensure good reproducibility.
- Work with our engineering team in the ongoing development and scaling of future deposition tools, and own process development on some of these tools.
- Lead solar cell R&D projects related to your areas of expertise.
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture and technical direction. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help hire, mentor, and set an example for new team members. You will find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities, and we encourage you to take full advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have deep knowledge of metal halide perovskite deposition by vapor, solution, or hybrid approaches, or of deposition of closely related thin film semiconductors
- Have experience studying the chemistry and physics of thin film deposition processes
- Have experience fabricating highly efficient and reproducible perovskite or other thin film devices, including in process development, characterization, and optimization of perovskite deposition
- Carry out experiments in a rigorous and efficient manner
- Can clearly and effectively communicate experimental results to a team
- A PhD or MS focused on thin-film solar cell technologies
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Work effectively both in small teams and independently
A strong candidate might bring one or more of the following…
- Experience in industrial PV research and process scale-up
- Experience characterizing the composition and morphology of semiconductor thin films through microscopy and spatial mapping and/or various kinds of spectroscopy
- Deep understanding of current PV technologies and deposition techniques
- Experience managing PV-relevant health and safety in the lab
- Ability to understand and communicate engineering requirements
- Ability to troubleshoot tool issues or initiate new tool improvements
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, equity, and benefits
- Ideal start date: Q3 2022 (flexible)
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs for you and your family.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses, as long as you share your new insights with the team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at email@example.com with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!