About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar power. With our core technologies from leading groups that have pioneered perovskite solar cell research and a team of enthusiastic and friendly people, we are working towards better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
We are committed to doing our best to ensure that every member of the team has a job that they love and an environment that supports them.
A day in the life
As a Senior Maintenance Technician at Swift, you will be a key technical team member of the engineering team and lead our efforts to keep the lab running smoothly. Working at an early-stage startup, you will have the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the company’s equipment development and operations.
On a typical day, you will review the maintenance schedule, which you have created and keep up to date, to act on preventative maintenance tasks that are due. You will work closely with the equipment engineers, R&D scientists, process engineers, and technicians to troubleshoot items that have been reported to you or added to the issue tracker. This will involve component based mechanical or electrical analysis, communication with support engineers from equipment vendors and quick decision making to get the tools back into working condition. You will keep an inventory of maintenance supplies and manage the purchasing process. Taking organized notes, documenting procedures, communicating your work, and managing time effectively are key parts of the job.
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture and technical direction. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help mentor and set an example for new team members. You will find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities, and we encourage you to take full advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have 5+ years of tool maintenance experience in the vacuum coating (PVD), semiconductor, or related industries
- Have experience with the operation of thin film vacuum systems
- Bring versatility to troubleshoot and repair mechanical, electrical (high and low voltage) and PLC subsystems and components
- Have a fundamental understanding of vacuum chamber pumping (including mechanical, turbo, and cryogenic pumps)
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Are organized, strong communicator, and good at documenting maintenance activities
- Are growth-minded, coachable, open to constructive feedback
A strong candidate might bring one or more of the following…
- Direct experience with Beckhoff and/or Omron PLC and distributed I/O
- Working knowledge of Beckhoff TwinCAT and AVEVA Indusoft
- The ability to troubleshoot, wire, and lay out low-voltage (24 and 48 VDC) electrical controls and high-voltage electrical power distribution (208V or 480V 3ph,N,G)
- The ability to build and operate motion systems, including motors and position sensors
- Experience rebuilding mechanical and cryogenic pumps
- Associates degree or formal training (certification) in Electrical Technology
- Experience in a startup environment
- Conscientiousness and interest in helping create a sustainable world
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Job type: Full-time, Hourly
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and inexpensive to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses, as long as you share your new insights with the team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at email@example.com with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!