About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
A day in the life
As Senior Product Engineer at Swift, you’ll play a key role in designing and prototyping new products based on our perovskite tandem solar cell technology. You’ll be in charge of specifying materials for module assembly, identifying and sourcing equipment for lamination, layup, and testing, securing the associated supply chains, and developing product assembly and reliability testing processes suitable for high-volume manufacturing. You’ll work closely with our cell R&D and business development teams to identify the most promising product opportunities and specifications.
On a typical day, you might work with our Engineering team to install new lamination tools, brainstorm the ideal module layout for a new product application, and work with our cell R&D team to troubleshoot a new encapsulation method or analyze packaging failure modes. You might also meet with other R&D team members to discuss perovskite-specific failure modes and brainstorm solutions for a new product with unique reliability requirements.
As an early hire, you’ll help craft Swift’s culture. In this role you’ll be interacting with many parts of the company, which will naturally lead to many opportunities to grow your own skills and responsibilities. We encourage you to take full advantage of these opportunities.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have experience with both c-Si and thin-film PV module development, ideally including encapsulation, cell layup, module-level electronics, and testing
- Have experience leading technical projects and teams
- Have experience with manufacturing scale-up planning, including identifying and procuring required equipment for module assembly and reliability testing
- Have worked with or are familiar with flexible modules and products
A strong candidate might bring one or more of the following…
- Experience with consumer electronics product development and/or component integration
- Experience integrating PV into various surfaces such as on rooftops or electric vehicles
- Familiarity with PV module material supply chains
- Experience implementing rigorous product reliability testing programs
- An understanding of why solving climate change is an urgent and critical challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: February – April 2022
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses—we know that a stronger you makes us a stronger team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!