About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar. With our core technologies from Stanford, MIT, and NREL, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
A day in the life
As a Software Engineer at Swift, you will be a member of the Data Systems team, building and maintaining our data infrastructure. You’ll work on responsive, high-performing user interfaces to help researchers explore and analyze hundreds of millions of data points. You’ll also help keep Swift’s data systems running smoothly and create features to improve the data collection user experience.
On a typical day, you will develop and test front-end code to improve the user interface of our data management system, or improve the pipeline system which processes and sends data to our Django web server. Organizing your code and documenting functionality rigorously is a key part of the job, as is testing and improving the systems you build. You will contribute to our existing data systems infrastructure and initiate discussions with R&D engineers and scientists to determine UI priorities and needs.
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture and technical direction. As our team and operations (and datasets) grow, we’ll expect you to be involved in building new tools and frameworks to help keep everyone as productive as possible. You’ll find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities at Swift, and we encourage you to take full advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have an undergraduate degree in CS or a related field, or proof of proficiency by contributions to open-source projects or other portfolio projects
- Write well-documented, organized, and efficient code
- Take initiative to tackle problems and improve ineffective workflows
- Have experience working with other developers on a large project codebase using git
- Consider yourself to be kind, conscientious, empathetic, caring, and tactful
A strong candidate might bring one or more of the following…
- Experience with testing frameworks and test-driven development
- Comfortable using asynchronous functions and querying web server database
- How to effectively analyze, plot, and present scientific data
- Excellent interdisciplinary communication skills
- Why solving climate change is an urgent and critical challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: October – December 2022
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ), Part-time remote OK
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses—we know that a stronger you makes us a stronger team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at email@example.com with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!