About the company
Our mission is to create a world where all energy is clean energy, and our approach is simple: Build a better solar panel.
Solar is the most equitable and abundant energy source on Earth and one of our most important tools for fighting climate change. But today’s solar technology is approaching its fundamental limits. At Swift Solar, we are building a new PV technology to break through traditional efficiency limits while using lower-cost materials and faster manufacturing methods. If we’re successful, Swift will ultimately provide the most affordable source of zero-carbon electricity in the world.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup backed by committed investors. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in helping us improve lives and fight climate change. We are committed to doing our best to ensure that every team member has a job that they love and an environment that supports them.
A day in the life
As a Stability R&D Scientist at Swift, you will be a key member of our device R&D team developing solar cells that pass rigorous tests of long-term stability. Your main goals will be to study the long-term intrinsic stability of solar cells, identify degradation mechanisms, and implement R&D plans to eliminate this degradation.
More specifically, you will likely work toward some of the following objectives, which we will define with your input:
- Systematically measure and track the intrinsic stability (i.e. stability of the device stack, not related to encapsulation and packaging) of solar cells under various accelerated aging conditions
- Characterize devices before and after various aging tests to identify degradation modes
- Deeply understand the mechanisms of thin-film PV degradation by analyzing data from systematic stability tests and from literature
- Based on experimental learnings, work with the team to generate and implement ideas to make solar cells that pass rigorous tests of long-term stability
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help hire, mentor, and set an example for new team members. You will find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities (e.g., by helping out with device R&D, perovskite compositional development, setup-building and infrastructure, and more), and we encourage you to take advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have completed a PhD focused on thin-film solar cells or similar devices. We are also open to applications from individuals with a BS or MS in a science or engineering field and will tailor the job title and responsibilities to your level of education and experience.
- Have experience characterizing thin-film optoelectronic devices using techniques like X-ray diffraction, X-ray fluorescence, photoluminescence spectroscopy, and electron microscopy
- Are organized and diligent in recording and analyzing large datasets
- Can clearly and effectively communicate experimental results to a team through presentations or whitepapers
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Work effectively both in small teams and independently
A very strong candidate may be able to teach…
- How to efficiently design multifactorial experiments
- Chemistry of metal halide perovskite semiconductors
- Device physics (incl. band structures and operating mechanisms) of thin-film solar cells
- How to build, use, and troubleshoot experimental measurement setups
- Fundamental science of thin-film characterization techniques—especially how they can be used to study the effects of chemical composition, processing methods, and aging of thin films in optoelectronic devices
- Why solving climate change is an urgent and critical challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: August–October 2021
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and cheap to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses—we know that a stronger you makes us a stronger team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at email@example.com with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!