About the company
At Swift Solar, we’re building the future of solar power. With our core technologies from leading groups that have pioneered perovskite solar cell research and a team of enthusiastic and friendly people, we make better solar panels—lightweight, flexible, more efficient, and more affordable—so solar energy can do more to improve lives and fight climate change.
Swift Solar is a mission-focused startup funded by committed investors. We know it’s a long journey to take a new clean energy technology to market, and we’re in it for the long haul together. If you join us, you’ll play a meaningful role in taking Swift’s impact to the next level.
We are committed to doing our best to ensure that every member of the team has a job that they love and an environment that supports them.
A day in the life
As a Process Technician at Swift, you will be a core member of the R&D team developing more efficient and reliable solar cells and keeping the lab running smoothly. Working at an early-stage startup, you will have the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the company’s technical development and internal operations.
On a typical day, you will review experimental plans with Swift’s process engineers and scientists, execute these plans, document the experiments, and report on your results. You will operate tools to deposit and characterize thin films for use in solar cells, both for internal R&D projects and for external customers. You will evaluate data and help design follow-up experiments. You’ll also help keep the lab running smoothly and efficiently, for example by performing some maintenance tasks and working closely with the equipment operations team. You will be expected to manage and communicate about supply needs, workflows, results, and tool output to support other work at Swift. Taking organized notes, documenting procedures, communicating your work, and managing time effectively are key parts of the job.
As an early hire, you will help craft Swift’s culture and technical direction. As our team grows, we’ll expect you to help mentor and set an example for new team members. You will find many opportunities to grow your own skills and capabilities, and we encourage you to take full advantage of them.
You might be a good fit if you…
- Have training and experience in the operation of vacuum deposition tools
- Know how to work safely and effectively in a wet lab or semiconductor R&D environment
- Are highly organized and reliable in your work
- Take initiative to tackle problems you see around you, even if it’s not your job
- Work effectively and efficiently both in small teams and on your own
- Can write and speak English effectively
A very strong candidate can teach or quickly learn with guidance…
- How to characterize thin films and devices with UV-vis, XRD, SEM, PL, TRPL, XRF, XPS, AFM, FTIR, etc.
- How to develop and optimize thin-film deposition processes
- Statistical process control for manufacturing
- How to diagnose and fix problems with lab equipment
- How to use hand/power tools, 3D printers, and other prototyping tools
- Why solving climate change is an urgent and important challenge
- Compensation: Competitive package including salary, benefits, and equity
- Ideal start date: May 2021 – July 2021
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: San Carlos, CA (Swift Solar HQ)
What you’ll love about Swift
- Culture: We live by our values. You’ll feel right at home if you want to serve the future, get better every day, respect your colleagues, and have fun.
- Health benefits: We cover most medical, dental, and vision insurance costs.
- Your future, supported: We match your 401(k) retirement contributions.
- Clean commuter benefits: We’re all about clean energy. We make it easy and inexpensive to ride your bike or take public transit to work.
- Growth mindset: You’ll grow your skills, your network, and your perspective at Swift. We’ll support you in attending conferences and taking online courses, as long as you share your new insights with the team.
Apply for this job here
Swift is an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive work environment and welcome team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Even if this isn’t the right job for you, we’re always looking for good people. Please check out other career opportunities on our website and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. And if you have a friend who would be a perfect fit, send them this link. Thanks!